Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Birthday, Honey!

In order to stay out of the Oreos, I've decided to finally do some catching up here. Hopefully, typing will keep me out of the snack cabinet...we shall see...

We celebrated Nate's birthday yesterday in grand style. He he he. As grand as it gets for adult birthdays these days, anyway. As he departed for work after getting up with the kids, I said, "I guess if I were a good wife, I'd have made you breakfast, huh?" I spent the afternoon preparing his cake and icing per his request (yellow cake with his favorite cream cheese frosting) and a homemade lasagna and fresh green beans, also per his request. He was so sweet when I asked him what he wanted for dinner for his birthday. He said, "I want to ask you to make lasagna..." He knows how much work it is so he hesitated. I stopped him there and said I'd be happy to make it for him. I found a great recipe on allrecipes.com and it was the best lasagna I've ever made. I steamed fresh green beans and then stir-fried them with olive oil, garlic, salt and lemon juice; this has become a favorite veggie in our house, although Alexander and Juliana would disagree.

I ended up putting lots of candles on his cake and it took him 2 tries to blow them all out. His excuse: "I was trying not to spit on the cake." I guess that's a good enough reason! Anyone interested in his age may feel free to count the candles:

He looks good for 46, huh?! :)

Singing a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday to You"

The girls made cards for him and we got him Oreos at the grocery the other day and they wanted to wrap them so we did. (Yes, these would be the same Oreos I'm trying desperately to avoid as I type; good to know you're paying attention.) Our presents to each other were the bikes we bought a few weeks ago so no big surprise present to unwrap. I guess I should be glad that I didn't have to wrap a bike! We were so stuffed after dinner and cake, we took a walk around the neighborhood and did some visiting before tucking in the wee ones. An episode from Season 1 of Battlestar Gallactica rounded out the evening nicely. All in all, I believe my honey had a nice birthday and, as always, we enjoyed helping him celebrate. We love you, daddy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nate. We feel bad we didn't get your present shipped to you in time. But I think you'll be happy when you get it at The Cabin in July. PS It's not a basketball.

Love, Jean and Gerry

Lori said...

Is it a basketball hoop?

- Nate

Anonymous said...

Well....no! The gravel might be a hinderance for you.