Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Milestone Alert: Big Boy Bed!

So, I'm making dinner this evening and Alexander climbs into his high chair and yells, "Eat, eat, eat!" I offer him a bowl of food to which he yells, "No!" and cries for his blanket. When I go to take the tray off to get him out, he grabs the tray and yells to eat again. {Insert deep cleansing breath here.} I put his tray back on and put the bowl of food in front of him and he grabs it and pitches it onto the floor. {Note: He's been hollering for quite some time by now.} When the bowl hits the floor and splatters, I remove the tray, scoop him up and haul him to his crib. {I had officially had enough drama and needed a time-out.} I march back downstairs right as Nate and Kathryn return from soccer practice. We hear a thump and renewed crying which was slightly peculiar considering it was getting closer and closer...and in runs Alexander giggling. {Insert heavy sigh.} I was just thinking this morning that he'd be growing out of his crib soon, but decided I wasn't in any hurry because he's perfectly happy in it and sleeps like a dream (most of the time.) So, while I did the dishes, Nate assembled the toddler bed.

Alexander was initially quite keen on his new bed, jumping onto it, snuggling with his blanket and jumping right back off. We did his normal routine, but he wasn't so thrilled when it was finally time to go to bed. He tried to climb the gate we put at his door a few times to no avail, thank goodness, and finally settled down after about 17 minutes. I have no idea if he's even in the bed. I'm reminded of Kathryn sleeping next to the gate the first night we tried out her big girl bed (it didn't take us long to put her crib back in her room...like one night.) I guess we'll see. I did some research on crib tents tonight just in case. They carry them at Wal-Mart. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: