Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Halloween 2008 - Star Wars Edition

Kathryn's latest obsession is Star Wars (thanks in part to the two older boys who live behind us and enjoy play-fighting with light sabers.) Her original intention was to be a Jedi Knight for Halloween. Okey dokey. We were going to try to find a big brown cape to go with the green light saber she already owns. However, while at Wal-Mart, she spotted a Darth Vader costume and that was that. Seeing perhaps my last opportunity to coordinate a theme (surely, Alexander will have an opinion next year), I asked Juliana if she'd like to be Princess Leia knowing full well anything with Princess in the title would suit her just fine. As expected, she was thrilled. Lastly, I recalled the dog costume I made for Juliana two years ago and told Alexander he was going to be an Ewok. I pinned up the ears, tied the tail in a knot, made a hood and VOILA!


Of course, Darth Vader wasn't complete without a RED light saber because that's the evil color. She couldn't possibly carry the GREEN light saber. Geesh, mom, get with the program. I also surprised her with a little voice box thing that simulated the sound of Darth's respirator. She loved it and ran it whenever we approached a house while trick or treating.

We began the days festivities at Alexander and Juliana's school celebration. The kids parade outside, sing a few songs and then serve the parents donut holes and cider. It's such a fun event and we always look forward to attending. Unfortunately, Alexander refused to wear his hood for the event (and, let's be honest, without it he was just a kid in fur.) But, he was a cute kid in fur, so it was fine. He seemed to enjoy the festivities, nevertheless.


Juliana sang with gusto and asked us eagerly when we arrived to her room if we'd like a snack. She got a ton of compliments on her hair and everyone knew who she was with such a defining characteristic.



Her Highness enjoying a chocolate donut hole

What Halloween celebration post would be complete without a video of the kids singing?



Later, I attended Kathryn's school parade and party. I volunteered to do games and crafts with the kids so had all that ready to go. They had a good time and Kathryn enjoyed counting the other Darth Vaders in her school. She overheard someone say, "That's a girl!" after she passed by and they saw her hair. I love that she embraces her individuality and doesn't feel self-conscious. She's such a neat kid.

Candy corn relay race

I accompanied the kids for trick or treating this year. This was my first year going with them. Nate has always done it in the past while I've stayed home to hand out candy. I enjoyed hearing our neighbor's reactions to the kids' costumes. As usual, they scored a ton of loot, which I promptly pilfered and devoured over the next few days.

We hope everyone had a safe and fun Halloween!

No comments: