Wednesday, August 26, 2015

To Molly From The Mama

Honey-girl, my sweet, baby girl, click clack meow, my darling. You were our bonus cat. The one I just couldn't leave behind when we chose to adopt your siblings. I couldn't leave you in that cage all by yourself knowing it was unlikely that a 5 month old black cat would be adopted. And, oh how glad I am that I was such a sucker! As a parent, I don't have a favorite child, of course, but I could have a favorite cat and I did. I was allowed to favor you because you were so afraid and so anti-social when we brought you home and I had to work so hard to earn your trust. Do you remember scratching me the first night when I tried to get you out from under the couch? I thought, "Oh, man. We've got a cat that's going to eat and pee and poop and we're never gonna see her." Boy, was I wrong. With patience and love, you became more and more trusting and comfortable in your new home and before I knew it, you were hanging out in my lap whenever it was available. You were mine, my baby, and while you were loved by and were comfortable with the other members of your family, you preferred the mama and I preferred you. And that makes it so much harder to have to say goodbye to you. I feel like years with you have been stolen from us and I hate it. I will miss you always. WE will miss you always, because you were well-loved by all of us. I'm in tears seeing a pony tail holder on the floor knowing you'll never play fetch again. Knowing I'll never hear your too-long nails clickety clacking on the floor. Knowing my lap will be empty as I sit at my desk this winter and my bed will be empty every time I go into my room during the day. You aren't here to snooze on my lap while we watch TV and you won't be tucking me in at night. You won't wake me up flipping your hedgehog around at 4 AM and playing in the bedroom curtains. No more lickies and no more uncontrollable drool when we love on you so much that you forget to swallow. I'm thankful for every minute we had with you in your 7 years of life and I'm thankful you didn't suffer for too long at the end. You didn't deserve to have your life cut short by cancer, but I'm so glad we got to give you so many years of love and comfort. That, you definitely deserved. You will forever have a place in my heart. I love you, my sweet.

Lucy and Molly at 5 months

Honey girl

Lucy, Molly and Oliver snoozing in the sun
 
Nothing better than a black cat napping on clean whites.

The girls catching some rays on their tree.


Molly's favorite place; sound asleep in the mama's lap.

No comments: