We celebrated Juliana's 2nd birthday in Maryland with family and friends, but we were at home in Ohio for her actual birthday. We had a quiet evening planned with a nice dinner and a cake and a few presents. I couldn't tell you what the main course for dinner was, but you can guess by the title that the vegetable of the day was peas. We noticed Juliana start to put a pea up her nose and told her no, while trying desperately not to let her see us giggle. Kathryn, in particular, thought it was hysterical. Well, before we knew it, she had not one, but 2 peas up her nose; one in each nostril. We managed to extricate one with little difficulty, but the remaining pea was proving to be more stubborn. We tried several things to no avail and after doing some research on the internet and a call to the after-hours emergency center, Children's Close to Home, decided we should take her in. So, Juliana and I spent the remainder of her birthday evening getting a pea removed from her right nostril. The doctor did an excellent job and got it out fairly quickly. The staff was very understanding and said it happens quite often. They gave her a teddy bear for her birthday and off we went. We had to postpone the rest of the festivities until the next night since it was so late when we returned. I guess that's one way to extend the celebration...She put a pea in her nose one other time a couple weeks later, but I got her to blow it out by herself. I don't think I've ever been so proud! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment