Thursday, August 09, 2007

My Tasty New Hobby

If you've been keeping up, you'll know that I made a most spectacular Castle cake for Juliana's birthday. Not only was it beautiful and wonderful and yummy, it served to re-spark my interest in cake decorating. I decided years ago that I enjoyed it, but never found the time or the oomph to pursue it choosing instead to have babies. Well, my friends, I'm done having babies and now that my little one is almost 2, I decided the time is right. I signed up for Wilton's Cake Decorating Course I offered at Michael's and began on July 11th. (It was my birthday present to myself!) There were four classes and we met every Wednesday night for 2 hours. The first week was just an intro and demonstration and then we had to take a cake for the second week to decorate during the class. I fooled around and came up with this:


When this class was over, my instructor told me I had a natural talent for decorating and that I'd do really well. I was so excited and felt so proud! The next week, I chose to decorate the bottom of my cake pan because I didn't need a cake and I've spent over a year working to lose 45 pounds and I'm not interested in having to do it again! The final week of the class, my mom and KK were here so I wanted to do something special. This design is called "Flowers for Her"; I'm really happy with the way it turned out and everyone was duly impressed. :)


This last cake I made to take to Bunco last week. It's a Snickerdoodle cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Icing. I thought the flecks of cinnamon in the icing gave it some character and I love how the mauve turned out. I may make the color darker for the writing next time, but overall, I was happy with the finished product and my Bunco buddies loved it.


I started Course III this week so I'm looking forward to all the new things I'll be learning, including tiered cakes and using columns. Stay tuned for more updates on my oh so tasty new hobby!

3 comments:

--Andy said...

Mmmm, I love snickerdoodles.

Lori said...

Maybe I'll have to recreate that one for you, Andy! Can't wait to see you guys!

Unknown said...

"Flowers for Her" sure tasted good! You did a super good job, both inside and out. I'm glad I was there to partake. Love, KK.