Thursday, August 09, 2007

Company, company and more company!

Well, we've been busy around here the last couple weeks, thus explaining my absence from my beloved journal. At the end of July, I frantically prepped the house from top to bottom to host a get together for some of the girls on the BabyCenter.com weight loss message board I've been a part of for over a year. Three women carpooled down and spent the afternoon and evening here. We had snacks and drinks, looked at photos and went out to dinner. It was so fun to meet in person people I've "known" for so long. Two other women weren't able to come, but I'm hoping to meet them in the near future.

A couple days later, my mom and Aunt KK arrived and stayed from Monday to Friday. Mom is recovering from major surgery on her hand and will be off work for 3 months to heal and do Physical Therapy. She's doing great and we all enjoyed the extended stay her disability provided! It was my aunt's first visit here, so it was fun to share our home with her. We spent a little time at the pool, did a little shopping and did a lot of relaxing and catching up. The girls let Ama sleep in their bed for 2 nights each while they slept on a blow up Dora bed in their rooms. Juliana is still sleeping in the Dora bed. For a couple days, she started out in her bed and ended up on the blow up mattress, but now all pretense is gone and we tuck her directly into her Dora bed! I'm not sure how long she'll keep it up, but it's no harm so it's fine with us.

The girls have been going to Little Gym camp this week. They have an animal theme so each day they do something related to animals. So far, the highlight was yesterday when PetLand visited and brought several animals for the class to learn about and pet. Kathryn excitedly recounted that there was a white and brown rat that was very cute, a 9-week old kitten, some kind of Hound dog, a 10-week old bunny, a ferret and a hedgehog that was the only animal they didn't pet; apparently, they are prickly. Tomorrow, the animal shelter will visit and there will be more opportunities to pet the animals. It's high excitement around here, I tell ya. I've enjoyed the spare time and have gone to the gym a few times during their class. Alexander no longer even looks back when I take him to the daycare at the gym. He was having some separation issues in the spring, so I'm glad we're through that. I think it helped to have his sissies with him this summer.

We're gearing up for a trip to Maryland next week. Juliana has a doctor's visit on Monday and we'll head out from there and return on Friday with Ama in tow. We have a birthday party on Saturday and I promised to help make the princess cake. Mom wants to be here for Kathryn's first day of school. I can't believe it's so soon! She starts on Wednesday, August 22nd. I need to get her school supplies and do some back-to-school shopping now that I think about it...it's all happening too fast! Fortunately, I ended my affair with my new boyfriend, Harry Potter, today and will have more free time in the coming days to get my stuff done. What a great read! I've loved the whole series and am really looking forward to sharing them with Kathryn when she's a little older. I've stayed up so late the past few nights, I've had to use some of my "spare" time napping in the afternoons! I have no self-control when it's time to put those books down. I've proven that time and again.

Anywho, Mom will depart sometime between the 22nd and the 24th (the later, the better, of course!) and Alex and Mike will be arriving on the 24th. I'm so excited to see my best friend and share our home with her! Three days after they depart, Nate's brother, Andy, his wife, Kim, and their almost 2 year old son, Gabriel, will be here through September 4th. We're so excited they're coming and we've been brainstorming fun things to do while they're here. It'll be fun to see Alexander and Gabriel interact (they are only a month apart in age); I'm expecting to hear the word "mine" quite a bit! :) So fun!

I'm not sure what we'll do with ourselves when the last of our company departs. I'm kinda sad already just thinking about it. :( I guess we'll be in the throes of school and soccer by then. Kathryn is starting 1st grade so will be at the same school as our neighbors and Juliana will return to Montessori. They are both signed up for soccer and Nate will be the head coach of Kathryn's team. When push came to shove, he decided he's better suited for the older set! We're both already picturing Juliana out there chasing butterflies and picking flowers in the middle of a game. She's such a cliche! We smile broadly at each other and giggle whenever we see her dawdling to pick flowers. Our neighbors owe her a lot of thanks; pink clover are some of her favorites!

That's the update for now. I'll share my adventures in Cake Decorating in a separate entry. I'm outta here!

No comments: