Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Slight Change of Plans...

For those of you in Maryland anxiously awaiting my call to arrange a visit, you can stop waiting and resume your lives. Alexander and Kathryn came down with a cold with a pretty bad cough on Friday and we decided not to share our germs with our loved ones again. We are disappointed not to make the trip and, yet, it's sooooo much easier not to drive 16 hours with small children. Kathryn is starting to feel better, although her voice sounds terrible. Alexander is still having pretty major mucous issues and he's been very cranky, in general. (Keep in mind he's almost 2 so I'm figuring that's playing a bit of a role, but mostly I think he just feels yucky.) He woke up late Friday night coughing and crying and my first thought was croup since I know our 2 year old neighbor is just getting over it, but turns out it's not that, thank goodness. He's not coughing as much now and has slept pretty well the past couple nights. I guess I'm glad we're getting this over with now, as opposed to having it the first week of school. Kathryn would be heartbroken to miss her first day. She's been counting the days on the calendar her Aunt Aimee gave her for Christmas and I get an update first thing each morning. I'm so excited for her and this whole new world that's about to open up for her. I'm not so sure how I'm feeling about putting her on the bus next week. I'll have to get back to you on how that goes...

Fortunately, Juliana has avoided the worst of the cold, so far, anyway. She's been a little tired and somewhat clingy, but no congestion or coughing so I'm hoping it'll stay that way. She had her 4-year well-visit at the doctor yesterday. She's grown 3 1/2 inches and gained 4 pounds in the last year, keeping her at the 75th percentile in both height and weight. She hopped on one foot at a time, named a bunch of colors and answered a variety of questions. She also counted to 20 for the doctor and nurse, which was unsolicited by either of them! She passed her hearing and sight tests with flying colors. Our only issue was upon trying to obtain a urine sample. I do believe she has what you would call a "shy bladder" and we had to bring the empty cup home with us...which reminds me, there is a cup of pee in my fridge that I need to ask Nate to drop off tomorrow...Oh, but I digress...I gave Dr. Bolton a funny look when she asked if there are any behavioral issues. You mean, other than the strong-willed, stubborn, sassy behaviors my child possesses? I told her 3 has been tough and we're hoping 4 will be better. She agreed and said 3 year olds are schizophrenic. I distinctly remember Kathryn turning a corner around 4 1/2...Juliana's got 5 months...and no more. :)

In other news, the girls start soccer in a couple weeks. Nate is the Head Coach for Kathryn's team this year so he's working on finding a practice site and figuring out a time that accommodates the most players. Two of Kathryn's friends from the neighborhood are on her team so she's very excited about that. It should be a fun season.

Ama (my mom) is arriving tomorrow and will stay through next Thursday. She had surgery on her hand in July and has 3 months of leave for recovery and physical therapy, thus the extended stays. She really wanted to be here to see Kathryn off for her first day of school so it's working out very well. With that in mind, it occurs to me that I haven't prepped the guest room and should go get that done while I'm thinking about it...Until next time!

No comments: