Thursday, August 09, 2007

Vegetable Garden - Day 89

It's been forever since I've posted about our garden's progress. I've been taking pictures here and there, but have been remiss in sharing them. (I know you're heartbroken!) Here's the latest and greatest as of today. Sadly, when I moved seedlings around they didn't like it much and have been slow to recover. Only one cucumber plant is thriving; the others are alive, but aren't very big and aren't yet producing cucs. The one that's doing really well produced a huge cucumber that I just picked today; I'm looking forward to tasting it tomorrow.

The green beans have been pathetic since being transplanted and after the bugs got at them are all but destroyed for the most part. It makes me so upset to see the early pictures of them when they were so healthy. One plant wasn't moved and it's one of two plants producing beans. I've harvested all of 7 green beans this summer and I just couldn't figure out what to do with 7 green beans so they sat on my toaster oven until I pitched them. The two healthy plants are flowering again so I'm hoping for a few more this time so I will actually feel like cooking them will be worthwhile!

More green beans on the way!

The other crop that suffered at my hands due to my lack of experience was the corn. I dug up everything and kept the biggest plants rather than just pulling the two smallest seedlings from each hole; live and you learn, I guess. I'll certainly know better next year. Fortunately, we're starting to see silk growing even though the leaves are not looking very healthy. And, upon closer inspection this evening, we've got a cob or two forming. I will be ecstatic if we can get one full ear of corn for Kathryn to enjoy since that was the crop she wanted to grow.

As I piddled in the garden tonight, I decided to check out the one carrot that's grown from the beginning (I went back and planted a bunch more seeds later so they're all significantly further behind.) I swiped the dirt away and saw orange! A quick count determined it's been over 75 days so I got Juliana and we pulled it together. She beamed and ran around to show daddy. This is actually what prompted our garden photo shoot. I had to get her picture with her carrot! I told the girls we'd have a salad tomorrow and put our cucumber and carrot in it to which Juliana replied, "I don't like carrots." Um, okay, then why did you want to plant them?!?! {Insert smiley of me ripping my hair out!} She was excited nevertheless and I will enjoy the homegrown carrot!

As I suspected would be the case, the tomatoes are out of control. A few weeks ago, the Roma plants fell onto their sides. They're so big, they overwhelmed their cages and Nate had to pound a stake in the middle of the plants and bungee cord them to it to keep them upright. They're very healthy (in spite of our brief encounter with the Tomato Hornworm; see "Nature" entry coming soon) and I'm in search of a good salsa recipe. I also may try my hand at preserving them so will see what I can find on that topic. I'm looking forward to unloading some in MD next week. :)
So, that's the scoop on our first attempt at a vegetable garden. I've learned a lot and am looking forward to a more bountiful garden next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say the tomatoes were scrumptious. I brought four Romas to The Cabin and Gerry and I had them in a salad last night. I pulled the biggest one for Gram for her sandwich...also left the rest on the table; hope she saves some for us. You guys did a great job on the garden and I know next year will be even more bountiful.

Love you,
mama/ama