
HELEN K. HALL On September 5, 2008 at home in Jessup of Aortic Valve Stenosis. Beloved mother of Betty K. (Glenn) Miller of Pocomoke City, MD and Billie Jeanne (Gerry) Malloy of Jessup, MD. Born in San Diego, CA on September 10, 1920 to the late Leo and Lottie Kraus and was raised in St. Paul, NE. She graduated from the University of Nebraska in 1942 with a Music Education Degree then moved to the DC area where she taught music at Pleasant Hill Elementary School, then got her teaching degree and supervision and administration degree from the University of Maryland. She served as Principal at Seabrook, McCormick, Lyndon Hill and Beacon Heights Elementary Schools. After 31 years with the Prince Georges County School District, Helen retired in 1974 and traveled overseas and in the USA extensively. She was very active for many years in the Delta Kappa Gamma International Educators' Society. She leaves one sister, Margy (Hal) Fuson of Colusa, CA., four grandchildren, Lori, Andy, Rich and Matt; two step-grandchildren, Kevin and Mike; nine great-grandchildren, Kathryn, Juliana, Alexander, Jonathan, Kaitlyn, Cole, Becca, Isabel and Joshua; two step great-grandchildren, Sydney and Kayla; cousins nieces and nephews. She was loved and respected by many. Viewing will be held on Tuesday, September 9, from 6 to 8 p.m. and Wednesday at 12:30 pm followed by service 1:30 p.m. at FORT LINCOLN FUNERAL HOME, 3401 Bladensburg Rd, Brentwood, MD 20722. Interment Fort Lincoln Cemetery. Contributions can be made to the Carol Jean Cancer Foundation, Inc. 10718 Cleos Court, Columbia, MD 21045, Attn: President, Beverly Gogh or the American Heart Association in memory of Helen K. Hall.
...
A good friend of mine commented after reading Gram's obituary, "She was an amazing woman." My friend couldn't have been more right. Her career was impressive and I have so enjoyed reading letters written to her from teachers who worked with her and for her. She touched countless lives; from her immediate family, of which I was privileged to be a part, to the young lives she taught and oversaw during her lengthy career to her co-workers and the many, many friends she made, and kept, along the way. What an amazing legacy of love and friendship she's left behind.Even after retiring in 1974, she continued to teach on a regular basis. I know this because I was her student. After my parents separated, we moved to Maryland from Virginia to be near Gram in 1978. Prior to our move, I struggled through 2nd grade and I was going to be held back. Maryland didn't want to start me off behind so I was promoted to the 3rd grade.
I had a tough time initially and can vividly recall standing at the front of my classroom with my hands behind my back counting on my fingers to recite one of the multiplication tables. From that awful, embarrassing experience, Gram resumed her profession and taught me the times tables. She also helped me learn to spell, taught me the importance of proper grammar, helped me write reports, encouraged me to write thank you notes, made me practice the flute, and made me eat fish and spinach and drink skim milk...you get the drift. :)
While I was a Resident Assistant in college, my residents brought me their papers to proof-read and I quickly became known as the "Grammar Police", a position that followed me well into my career. I am so thankful that my gram took the time to help me at such a critical time in my life. Not only did I pass the 3rd grade, I earned good grades through my senior year and went on to graduate with honors from college and graduate school. And while I still hate fish and frozen spinach, I drink my milk every night. ;)
Her great-grandchildren brought much joy to her life and from the announcement of a new pregnancy, she was a never-ending source of suggestions for names. This didn't surprise my mom, considering my gram had made a deal with her when I was born. She told my mom that if I wasn't going to be named after her - Helen Harriet - that she should get to name me. My mom agreed and Gram chose Lori Elizabeth. I believe this agreement worked out in my favor, don't you think? :)
She was always interested in the kids and how they were doing, what they were saying, new feats, etc. She always got a kick out of their funny sayings and jotted them down to send on to her friends and note in her journal. I'm reading that journal now and find myself grinning at the notations she made about the little ones. It brings back fun memories for me and makes me feel close to her.
Below are pictures of my gram with each of our children either on or shortly after their births. She loved them so much and I'm so thankful they got to meet her and spend time with her before her passing.
A very good friend of my gram's wrote me a note that meant so very much to me. She said, "I know how much you loved your grandmother. She loved you and was so very proud of you - as a student, as a graduate, most of all as a wonderful mother! You gave her much joy - always!" Although I tried very hard to be a good grand-daughter and I know I succeeded in many ways, it was so special and so comforting hearing it from Gram's trusted friend and confidant. I cherish her words and feel comforted that I made my gram proud.
I love you very much, granny, and I miss you every day. Rest in peace.
...

2 comments:
What a wonderful tribute...to a wonderful woman...from a wonderful woman...I'm glad you are my daughter.
...and I'm glad you're my favorite niece!
This caught me by surprise, as I was trying to catch up on your blog...as opposed to your Facebook...gad, I'll never keep up...what happened to plain old e-mail!?!
Love,kk.
Post a Comment