Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Milestone Alert: Alexander and Juliana's First Day of School

Juliana and Alexander started school on September 3rd. Juliana is in kindergarten this year and Alexander began pre-school. He missed the cut-off by 2 weeks so had an interview this summer to see if he would be ready. They can only accommodate one child between 2 1/2 and 3-years old in each of 4 classrooms and there were 6 applicants. He did a great job and was admitted. He had a one-week orientation class this summer and we began potty-training in earnest. He had a great week and was so excited to start school. Even almost 2 months into it, he asks every Saturday, "I go school tah-day?" It's so sweet and makes me sad to have to say no. He generally takes it well so that helps.

Juliana has settled into her class as a big kindergartener. She is writing a lot and is very close to reading. She stays busy and often skips snack. (I remember when Kathryn was in kindergarten; she was always too busy for snack, too.) Alexander, on the other hand, is all about snack-time and enjoys telling me what he had each day.

Last night at dinner, Juliana said she can't wait for her first bus ride. Nate asked me if she's going to be riding a bus sometime soon. I said, "I assume she's talking about next year when she goes to Kathryn's school." And, that was exactly what she was talking about. Ever the optimist, she's decided that's not very long from now at all! Nate commented that I probably wouldn't be so happy about that, but Kathryn paved the way so I think I'll be okay when she starts first grade. As always, I reserve the right change my mind and have a fit as she rides off on the school bus for the first time.

It's official. They are entirely too big.




No comments: