Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Flashback: Kathryn's 6th Birthday! Part 1

Shame on me for not getting this done sooner! I just realized I never posted Kathryn's birthday festivities. What an awful mom I am!! Without further ado, here's the lowdown on Kathryn's 6th birthday party.

Ama and Ampa arrived on Friday to help Kathryn celebrate. On Saturday, February 10th, we partied at home with several of her close friends. The guest list included: Abby, Delaney, Nathan, Drew, Zach, Julian and Alexandra (from school) and, of course, Juliana and Alexander. It was the perfect number of kids. They played downstairs while the guests arrived and then we played a rousing game of "Pin the topping on Curious George's ice cream cone." When I mentioned getting prizes for her party, Kathryn told me she didn't want to have "winning games" because if someone didn't win, she didn't want them to be upset. I thought that was really sweet, so we celebrated everyone's accomplishments during the game and no one even asked who won at the end. Then, we played Animal Charades and each guest pulled a piece of paper with an animal on it out of a bag and then had to act like that animal until the others guessed correctly. Turns out, quite a few animals simply walk around on all fours...made identifying them somewhat difficult! We finally had to allow sounds for the more elusive animals...like goats...what, exactly, do goats do?! :) (Turns out, goat sounds aren't so easy, either!) When everyone had a couple turns at that, we moved on to Freeze Dance and boogied down for a while. We took a break when the guests were getting tired and had cake and ice cream. I have to give a shout-out to the Wal-Mart bakery, which far exceeded my expectations for the cake. I mean, look at this! It was fabulous! The little Curious George heads around the bottom are plastic rings so all the kids got to take one home. So fun!

Kathryn opened her presents with each of her guests, which was a nice change from being at a party place. Usually, you don't want to waste time on presents when you're paying so much for the venue. It was nice to do it at a leisurely pace and the kids really enjoyed watching Kathryn open what they brought her. She loved her gifts and she was a very gracious recipient. They played for a while longer and then we wrapped it up. It was a very fun day and a most successful party. Everyone really seemed to have a great time. Juliana is making noise about wanting her party at a play place, but I'm going to have to work on convincing her that home is better!

Later in the afternoon, after a much needed break, Kathryn opened presents from us, Ama and Ampa, GiGi and Nana. One of the highlights was a Spider-man costume that I knew I had to get for her as soon as I saw it. She wears it at least twice a week!

Evil Ampa and Spider-man slinging webs at one another. It was an epic battle (see Snapfish link for more Adventures of Spider-man vs. Ampa.)

The dog lovers.

Alexander enjoyed the festivities, too!

That wraps up Kathryn's 6th Birthday Party Extravaganza. Stay tuned for Part 2: Celebration of Life at Montessori. Coming soon...I promise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had such a fun time at the "at-home" party. So much better than a play place. Not quite as hectic and not so much running around. The kids were good and that cake ... wow!