That night, Nate and I headed out to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. We had a drink at the Honi Honi bar while waiting for our table at Uno's. We haven't been there in so long, we were both very much looking forward to their Chicago style pizza, which didn't disappoint. After dinner, we realized the kids were probably still up so there was no way we were going back yet (!) so we headed to the Lakeside Creamery for ice cream. We very much enjoyed reflecting on the many happy years we've shared and imagining many more to come.
Sunday morning, Nate took all 3 kids to the waterfall he found the last time we visited. Kathryn had a great time climbing on the rocks and fooling around in the creek. Juliana mostly complained, but such is the status quo with an almost 4 year old! Alexander was fine, although he takes a lot of supervision so I commend Nate on even tackling such a task. Later in the afternoon, Gerry (Ampa), Nate, the girls and I headed to New Germany State Park to go fishing. Mom stayed at the cabin with a snoozing Alexander. Unfortunately, we couldn't get any worms for bait...look how disappointed the girls were...
That night, we all ended up back at Uno's for mom's birthday dinner. She wanted to go to the Long Branch Saloon, but it was closed so we had to go to Plan B, which was fine with us. Uno's has such an extensive menu, we enjoyed it just as much the second night! We dug into the carrot cake when we got back to the cabin and tossed the kids in bed.
Monday morning, Nate took the girls to the creek again and then went out on the ATV with Gerry while mom and I prepped for departure. They roamed throughout the woods and explored a cave we visited the last time we were there. They saw a black bear in the distance during their adventure. I have yet to spy one and am anxiously awaiting my turn! We packed lunches and went to the Discovery Nature Center to picnic. After a nice lunch, mom and Gerry headed home and we happened upon feeding time at the Center. We joined the group and Kathryn, in particular, enjoyed watching feeding time for the turtles, fish, snakes, hawks and an adorable Eastern Screech Owl. (I could have done without watching a hawk tear a mouse into bite-sized pieces, but hey, to each his own, I guess...) :) All in all, a very enjoyable weekend and we're looking forward to our next trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment