When I make a promise, I stand by it, by golly. I got up earlier this morning and got everyone moving right away...well, mostly right away...okay, kinda not right away, but earlier than yesterday, okay? Geesh! Lay off, will ya. Anyhoo, my great plans to deliver Juliana to school on time (or as close to it as is humanly possible for me) were derailed by Alexander's attempt to amputate my thumb. I was getting the girls their breakfast when Alexander reached into the junk drawer and withdrew a small, and very sharp pair of scissors. (Did you catch that bit of foreshadowing, there?) He proceeded to open them and I instinctively reached to take them thinking to myself, "He's going to cut himself." Well, not so much. He cut me instead. As my hand reached the scissors, he began to squeeze them shut on the pad of my left thumb. "Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwch!!!", I screeched and he began to cry as I continued in a rather high volume, "No scissors, Alexander!" He cried for another second or two and as I studied the quickly growing pool of blood on my thumb, I heard his customary, "Pptthththhtbbtt", which he's recently taken to doing when chastised. Kathryn's comment, "That's a lot of blood, mommy", to which I replied, "Yes, yes it is a lot of blood." Juliana chimed in with, "I'm very considerate of you, mommy". Come again? "I'm very conside...what's the word again?", she asked. "Oh, are you concerned about me?", I asked. Juliana replied, "Yes, that's it, I'm very concerned about you." She can be so sweet when she's not busy being a big pain in my rear and I very much appreciate her soft side. She told me again later how "considerate" she was about me and I told her how much I appreciated her concern and assured her I was fine.
So, I rinsed, applied pressure, Neosporined and applied a Dora Band-aid to my poor thumb before resuming the morning routine, which had once again become a mad dash to get out. My thumb throbbed for the better part of the morning and I had to make sure I didn't let my hand dangle lest it throb all the more. Fortunately, by this afternoon, the pain had subsided and I've had little difficulty performing my parental duties. (Which isn't hard when you order pizza for dinner, send one kid off with a friend, plop the other two in front of the TV and put off bath night because they smell just fine, thank you very much.)
For those of you keeping score, Juliana was 30 minutes late to school today, which was an improvement, but not anywhere near my goal. However, I was sabotaged and had to perform a lot of duties while injured so it doesn't count. The nice thing about being so very late every day is that there's a ton of room for improvement and there's always another day to work on achieving your goals. Think I can break 25 minutes tomorrow? We'll see what my cherubs have in store for me in the morning and go from there.
1 comment:
Wow - what an adventure!! I guess another lesson was relearned today - don't grab :) I'm so glad it wasn't worse - in a reflex like that, it could have been more.
Post a Comment